February 2008
« Jan   Mar »
18192021222324

The most delicious and most expensive yogurt.

By Karina | February 25, 2008

I made an impulse purchase a couple of weeks ago at Whole Foods. I bought a bottle of six dollar yogurt. (This is why people call it Whole Paycheck!) I don’t know why I bought it, I can’t really remember — but I think it had something to do with the magical words “whole milk yogurt.” if you’re not familiar, it’s like ice cream. yogurty yummy ice cream.

Jenn touched on the yogurt container issue a while ago, but I hadn’t seen any yogurt in a glass bottle before. So, there’s another reason why I had to buy it!

I was also intrigued by the fact that the yogurt was award winning and that it is made from “organic grassfred creamline milk.” The source is Traders Point Creamery – located in Zionsville IN. As I hefted the bottle into my shopping bag I thought to myself: oh, man. there’s probably a LOT of transportation costs associated with bringing me this tasty tasty yogurt. This is Heavy. On the other hand, the glass is recyclable. From their webpage:

What do I do with the empty milk bottles?
Our bottles are made of a high quality glass, and we hope to one day have a bottle return program. However, for now, we encourage you to re-use them for storage of dry goods, as a vase, iced tea bottle, or any other unique use you can come up with. We’d love to add new ideas to our site, please share your re-use ideas with us: info@tpforganics.com

I would love to see some of the reuse ideas!

So, I cracked open the yogurt and poured some out as soon as I got home. this stuff was good smelling. The crazy thing was that upon my first mouthful, I had to check the bottle to see if there was sugar added. This yogurt is so sweet and mild! It was delicious, and very difficult to not drink it all straight away.

here’s a video about traders point organic creamery. Super delicious!! if the price tag doesn’t break your books, I would say by all means, give this great tasting stuff a chance.

What’s your most extravagant green purchase?

photo by flickr user Bethany L King via creative commons license.

Topics: Food | 27 Comments »

Comment by MamaBird
2008-02-25 09:08:32

lol, I *just* bought some of this yesterday! glad to hear that it’s good. i got distracted from the price while buying it trying to get Whole Foods to let me fill up my old containers in the bulk dept (they couldn’t in the end figure out how to tare them out so for now i just paid more, sigh, as if that were even possible at WF). but my most extravagant green purchase was (by far) the composting tumbler for our patio (almost $200).

2008-02-25 12:06:43

I had to justify the price by saying: “ok, $6 bucks, but it’s 5 servings so it’s just like buying 5 single serve cups but less waste. which is good for the environment!”

Comment by lynda
2008-02-25 09:13:46

The cat genie. $297, but no litter to change means two less bags going into the landfill every month!

it *would* have been the recycled glass tile from Green Builders, but their lousy customer service saved me over $1000.

2008-02-25 09:58:45

lynda –

do you like the cat genie??? i’ve been contemplating this purchase. we have 5 cats so even if we got this we’d still have regular boxes – but we could at least get rid of one and further cut down on the scooping & baggies.

Comment by lynda
2008-02-25 14:25:22

I haven’t set it up yet. Will keep you posted!

2008-02-25 10:44:20

Well, very soon it will probably be the Naturemill indoor compost system. And also, the $50+ per gallon self-priming, low VOC Aura paint. But for now… I guess it’s my Sigg bottles. :)

2008-02-26 09:31:15

eco-friendly paint was my most recent eco-friendly slurge. but, is the BM Aura really low VOC? I swear the can I have in front of me doesn’t say that. Their eco-spec option is, but you can not get that in any (dark) color. if you can find it, the envirosafe paint might be a better option – no VOCs and you can get any color, I believe! we used this in our spare room and it went on pretty nicely. we needed 3 coats but we were covering a tragic purple with a buttery cream color and i was too hasty to use icky primer. there is a retailer in north NJ – Green Elements Design.

2008-02-26 12:59:41

Hey Cat! You know, it doesn’t say anywhere on the Aura site that it’s low-VOC, but the guys at the store swear it is. I have no idea why they wouldn’t make that an obvious part of the branding, but apparently that’s why I don’t work in marketing. :) I did use their Eco-Spec paint for my living room a few years ago and loved it– a great product. Actually, I’m now considering some other options, such as this, for painting my kitchen. We’ll see!

Comment by Anne
2008-02-25 12:02:01

On the topic of yogurt:

I eat a lot of yogurt (1-2 quarts a week, by myself), and it’s kind of an expensive snack (though, to their credit, my local co-op – though outrageously overpriced for most items – sells organic yogurt for comparable and sometimes even cheaper prices than the conventional stuff at the big box grocery store). So, I’ve been contemplating getting a yogurt maker, which would have the added bonus of not bringing all those plastic tubs into my house – you can only repurpose so many of them, you know?

I’ve been eying the Salton YM9 1-quart maker (great reviews) but am wondering about the starter cultures. Everyone says the dried ones aren’t that great, and that the best starters are to use commercial ones. I know many people just hold back a bit of the previous batch for the next batch’s starter, but I’ve heard that only works for a few batches, and then you need to start over with a commercial starter. But I don’t want to have to buy a small cup of yogurt every week to make my own! Does anyone have any experience with this?

2008-02-25 12:05:53

I’m sure my mom will pop in and answer this question for you, Anne. She made her own yogurt while I was growing up and I’m pretty sure you do NOT have to buy starter over and over again. If that was the case then yogurt would never have survived as a food, and it’s been around forever! It’s like sourdough – just reserve a bit and use it to move forward.

2008-02-25 13:44:53

oh, and check this out: this reviewer uses a glass canning jar instead of the plastic tub it comes with originally – that sounds so practical and also aesthetically pleasing!

Comment by Anne
2008-02-25 15:27:14

Yeah, I saw that! I think I’ll try it out when I get the yogurt maker. As for starters, it doesn’t seem like you’d have to keep buying commercial starter, but you know, even if I had to buy commercial starter every ten times, that’d still be a lot less packaging (and money, I hope).

2008-02-25 17:13:20

let us know what you think about it! you’re really tempting me too. and did you see this yogurt cheese maker? at the rate I go through cheese I ought to buy one of each.

2008-02-25 20:55:32

Yes, please do keep us posted! As Karina linked to in her post above, I’ve been contemplating this for a long while. You could be the incentive I need! No pressure, though. :)

Comment by Anne
2008-02-26 00:16:00

Will do – I probably won’t order it until the end of March, as I’m a student and don’t want to order it before I go on spring break in two weeks. But I will definitely let you know (and if it turns out well, I could even do a guest entry if you like).

2008-02-26 08:14:58

We’d LOVE that! You’ve got a deal!

Comment by Zoe
2008-02-25 21:44:16

I’ve made pretty successful yoghurt before using a few spoons of unflavoured ‘live’ yoghurt as a starter, and a thermos. So yeah, if you have a warm enough area in your house, you can make your own yoghurt for the cost of a small tub of yoghurt, some milk and an old thermos. It’s great fun, too :)

Comment by Harper
2008-02-25 13:10:12

Yummy. The cost doesn’t seem as bad when you divide it by the 5 servings. However, I always have the issue of balancing the convenience of individually packaged foods like yogurt vs bulk — sometimes bulk can be less economical because I consume more than one serving when it isn’t already portioned for me. Sounds pathetic but sometimes you just have to accept and work with your limitations.

Anne’s idea of making her own yogurt is interesting and I bet she could find a local organic dairy to make it even more eco-friendly. My concern is whether I would be able to integrate yogurt-making into my life so that it didn’t become another wasted purchase [giant stainless steel slow cooker, I'm talking to you].

2008-02-25 17:14:04

I’ve been looking for local dairies all afternoon myself! Anne has got me on a kick.

Comment by Kristine
2008-02-25 16:57:36

ok, ok. here i am
yes, i made a lot of yogurt in the past, and overall, was quite happy with the whole thing: using powdered milk, having the yogurt on hand, it used little about cup glass containers, (i thought you had that, Karina) for portion control, and i resused some for the starter every time, with no problems. it does live on and on, as long as you do it regularily, like every week or so. you can use whatever milk product you wish, from skim to whole, but not sure about soymilk products. happy yogurting!

2008-02-25 17:13:41

I used to have it, but I don’t know where it is now!

Comment by Anne
2008-02-25 18:56:02

Is the powdered milk really necessary? I’ve heard you can get the yogurt to firm up by incubating it for a longer period…

Thanks!

2008-02-26 10:20:36

this page says that the powdered milk is to thicken it, but if you find a starter with a nice big curd you don’t need it at all. or you could just have runnier yogurt! ala the europeans!

I think if you incubate it longer it will get more tart, but not necessarily thicker.

Comment by N. & J.
2008-02-28 12:44:10

We reuse glass jars to store all sorts of dried goods in that we get from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. You can also use them to make container candles if you are so inclined and you could use them in canning (just make sure to get new lids so they will probably seal). You could use it as a candy jar, a pencil/pen holder, turn it into a first aid kit container and keep it in your car, donate it to Goodwill, use it for craft projects, donate it to a school for use in an art project, use it to hold paintbrushes, use it as a cookie jar, use it as a change jar, basically anything you would use tupperware for. Glass jars can be frozen. Sourdough starters should go in glass jars.

There are probably more ideas but I can’t think of anymore right now.

You can check out what my fiance and I are doing to reduce our footprint and creatively reuse on our blog http://badhuman.wordpress.com

Comment by aleta
2008-03-01 22:11:08

I’m subscribed to Debra Lynn Dadd’s Sweet Savvy email list – she sends out recipes for all kinds of sweets made with natural sweeteners. This week she sent out a recipe for no-bake yogurt cheesecake that uses whole milk yogurt, and it looks pretty healthy as well as scrumptious! It looks like she hasn’t posted it to her site yet, but keep an eye on her site or email me for the recipe: atelathehun at yahoo dot com

2008-03-02 06:02:11

[...] The most delicious and most expensive yogurt. [...]

2008-07-27 08:41:33

Trackbacking your entry……

[...] You aren\’t afraid to eat meat!\” Aw, how sweet. So the dinner was delicioso, and on my way back from the bathroom I saw one of the servers reading The New Spanish Table, a cookbook that I just so happen to have in my own [...]…