Soda Club Seltzer Maker

By Karina | June 9, 2008

sodaclub.jpgI posted a couple of weeks ago about my search for ways to make my seltzer habit a little more sustainable. After everything y’all had to say, and a little more research on my end, I ended up purchasing the Soda Club Fountain Jet and boy do I love it! And not just because it arrived the week before this Very Hot Weekend we’ve just had, so I have plenty of delicious cold seltzer to drink while I’m sweating away in my apartment.

This is NOT the $250 model, so the soda bottles are plastic, and not glass. They do seem very durable and long lasting though, and they have an expiration date on them several years in advance, and can be recycled after they expire. They are a proprietary bottle because of the pressures they need to withstand, and they cost about $14 each – so while they’re pretty sturdy, I am reluctant to drag them around with me as I would a store-bought bottle of soda. I’ve been carefully bringing one to work with me, but for longer car trips I put the soda into a cleaned out glass kombucha bottle that I’ve had for a while now. It is a good temporary storage container for something fizzy.

Making the seltzer is pretty cool – you push down on the button on the top several times and carbon dioxide is injected into your bottle of cool water. You continue this until there is a large “buzzing” sound, and then you decide if you want super bubbly or just reasonably bubble – for reasonably bubbly stop now! for super bubbly keep going. There’s a how-to video here, which I had to refer to again because I was too impatient to wait for the buzzing sound so had to make myself watch the instructions a second time to make sure I was doing it right.

I need to call their customer service, because I ordered the seltzer package which is supposed to come with seltzer flavors, and I didn’t receive any. Strike that earlier – the seltzer flavors are marked as backordered on my packaging materials, so I guess they’ll get here when they get here!

The soda machine came with a package of sample soda mix flavors which I just don’t care for – they’re made with spenda, even the non-diet varieties (I imagine because sugar would be a much larger volume), and I have the dubious talent of being able to distinguish chemical sweeteners in anything I drink, which, coupled with not particularly caring for them, means I don’t like any of the soda mix flavors. But I also have a lot of great ideas of things to make and mix with the seltzer – for example: a ginger simple syrup would be amazing, and kind of like ginger ale! also I can make Shirley Temples galore with grenadine, or fancy fizzy lemonade with lemon juice and simple syrup. Here’s a neat recipe for Open Source Cola, which I am so curious and interested to try – there’s a lot of talk about how American coke is made from high fructose corn syrup while our neighbors to the north and south get soda sweetened with real live sugar. I’d love to make my own and see if there’s a difference.

All in all, I’m about ten-thousand percent satisfied with my new source for seltzer. I feel much better about not bringing home containers from the grocery (and then putting them outside for recycling). Plus, 1. the company is located in New Jersey, as am I, so I don’t feel at ALL bad about the shipping carbon footprint. even if I did live outside of NJ there is 1a. the one-time shipping cost definately way compensates for the many many bottles of seltzer I would bring home from the grocery each year. and 2. I don’t have an A/C, so I think that granting myself the luxury of cold cold seltzer instead is a-ok.

Any beat-the-heat luxuries you’re allowing yourself as we go to summer this ear?

Topics: Food | 28 Comments »

2008-06-09 08:21:02

Wow, I can’t wait to try your seltzer!

I found that by lying very very still on my couch yesterday I didn’t generate any heat, and actually felt comfortable. So I did that for awhile while I watched an inspiring movie. Also, I made up a big picher of iced chai for the week! That’s the most delicious way to beat the heat AND get your jitters on.

Comment by Annette
2008-06-10 07:39:25

Do you share your recipe for iced chai?

Comment by Jonty
2009-08-24 14:41:03

I bought one through this site http://www.makeyoursoda.com

It’s great I can now make fresh seltzer add my favorite syrups and save money as well!! A great product, and soooooo convenient!!! I luv it!

Comment by Annette
2008-06-09 17:08:38

I’m using the heat to dry my clothes on a line on my deck. I haven’t run my dryer in two weeks!

2008-06-10 07:23:49

you reminded me to do my laundry last night! it’s hanging on racks in my living room and I hope it’ll be dry by this evening.

Comment by kristine
2008-06-09 18:09:29

ok, according to the “Omnivore’s Dilemma,” both the big soda companies use what is ever cheaper at the moment: either sugar, or high fructose corn syrup. and just like Jenn, try to just not move, and have a little fan moving the air, somewhat….and drink lots of water.

2008-06-10 07:24:25

those opportunistic big soda companies!

2008-06-09 21:44:22

hose on my head on the back patio. kiddie pool. little clothing. *and* i am soooo jealous of your soda machine! I looked at em awhile back but decided i would have to get the glass bottles which basically rendered it in the “good idea but even I cannot justify spending $250 up front on seltzer” so I have quit the bubbly. kick one back for me. and my favorite new tip? if you like lemon slices in your seltzer but they go bad rattling around in your fridge? throw precut slices in the freezer! love that one. happy cooling.

2008-06-10 07:24:48

oh, that is a FABULOUS idea. I’m going to grab a lemon the next time I’m at the market to keep in the freezer.

Comment by DazzLynn!
2008-06-10 16:02:50

my dad freezes fresh squeezed lemon jiuce in ice trays and just plops them into his summer tea.

Comment by Allie
2008-06-10 14:57:00

That’s really cool! I am really tempted to try something along those lines.

My warm weather indulgence is popsicles, usually. I am crazy about them (especially coconut ones), but this year, I’m trying really hard to cut down on refined sugar, so I’m eating a lot of watermelon instead. The funny thing — my dog goes nuts for it. So weird.

Comment by DazzLynn!
2008-06-10 16:09:39

innnteresting. fizzy water is my new found favorite drink. if you make one with simple syrup, or something else fancy, do you fizzy plain water and add the fun, or add the fun and fizz the concoction?

Comment by jen
2008-06-10 17:27:56

for what it’s worth, you can get coke made with sugar in the US, just at passover. BUT, it goes SUPER quickly. Look for coke in 2 liter bottles with the kosher for passover yellow cap. Even though the ingredients list doesn’t change (they’re too cheap to change the labels), it tastes totally different.

also, at some bodegas you can get coke in glass bottles that’s bottled in mexico, and made with real sugar.

I have a friend who is from the south, and when he goes home to visit family, he always makes a stop at the one like warehouse or store or something where you can get Dr. Pepper made with real sugar. So different.

2008-06-18 06:38:59

I’m going to have to look out for it this year, thanks jen!

2008-06-15 06:01:27

[...] Soda Club Seltzer Maker [...]

Comment by Caoimhe
2008-06-17 11:57:33

We used to have a similar product in Ireland back in the 80s early 90s. It was called Soda Stream and you could basically carobonate water and make your own soda flavors etc. It was made by a German company, whose factory I worked in for a month the summer of ’98…

weird..

2008-06-18 06:39:17

that is so cool! and also a crazy coincidence.

Comment by Bob Galli
2008-07-06 22:09:10

Here’s another brand from Isi Group http://www.isi.at/isi/engl/e_fr_start.htm But charger is US$8. for 10, each good for one liter (thus, $0.80 per liter for teh gas). I seem to recall the SodaClub charger was about $15.00 and good for 110 liters. If so, seems their $70 or $80 item is the better deal. I saw the Isi at Bed Band & Beyond fro $60 and note it’s available from Target (at least on line). I agree – the Penguin at $250 is way too much to spend.

Comment by Bob Galli
2008-07-06 22:10:09

Sorry for the typos – but I’m sure you can decode it!!

2008-08-01 06:00:44

[...] I’ve been taking some of the suggestions in Tiny Choices! I bought a Soda Club seltzer maker and I made the sous chef carrying case so that I can take my silverware with [...]

Comment by Nicklas
2009-09-01 11:13:17

I bought one of those home soda makers. Cost me just $99 and my whole family is loving it. Great convenience – no more driving down to the store at night . and saving some bucks as well.

I got my information from http://makeyoursoda.com

Comment by Joey B
2009-09-24 16:47:38

I found a lot of helpful hints and tips to understanding our soda siphon from http://www.sodasiphon.net/ . The siphon I got second hand didn’t have any instructions, but I found some good ones there. They also have a great recipe for your own cola. I go a little lighter on the tea and heavier on the coffee personally. If you’re the type of person who likes to create their own flavors a seltzer maker is perfect for you!

Comment by Robert Kuramoto
2009-12-12 20:34:38

This is a great product. I have seen that there are a lot more Seltzer Makermodels. This is a great alternative to buying all kinds of soda and seltzer at the store. I enjoy and use mine all the time.

2010-03-29 06:00:33

[...] or so, I’ve had a couple of conversations about my Soda Club seltzer maker – if you recall, I bought it two years ago because I was tired of going through several liter bottles of seltzer (all plastic!). The [...]

Comment by Robert
2010-04-30 18:54:23

These home soda machines are quite awesome. I have one of the higher end models in the shape of a penguin.

I’ve heard they are having a discount on these machines at:

I’m thinking of getting another one as a gift for my parents.

Comment by Dan
2010-07-19 03:40:59

I found this great site with explanations and advantages for the home soda maker and if i was not sure before, i know now that this is a good home product. no more hundreds of bottles to carry from shops and no more money spending on less healthier drinks.
i say you visit this site, i had my doubts too before but after reading more information and facts about the soda machine, i got myself one and i don’t regret it.
find more info about the soda machine here: http://www.homesodamaking.com

Comment by Mr. Fizz
2010-09-13 18:27:24

Well, I’m still working on my savings toward a $250 Penguin unit. In the meanwhile, I use a $30 Fizz Giz. The small hand held portable Fizz Giz soda maker and their special Fizz Giz caps lets consumers make their own delicious carbonated drinks in the same bottles you buy soft drinks in now – so the bottles are free.

You can buy name brand soda syrups of your choosing just by dropping in at beverage distribution warehouses. Yep, Sunkist Orange, Coca Cola Classic, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, A&W Root Beer, Mtn Dew – all of them are available. You can even buy them at places like Sam’s Club. Your 12oz home made name brand drinks will cost you about 19-cents each. That’s not much more than a buck-a-six-pak. Compare that to $3.50 in grocery stores. If you like that, it means you’re in to saving money. So why spend $250 on a carbonator when you can get one for $30 that does the same thing and doesn’t take up counter space?