EcoTouch Waterless Car Wash

By Karina | July 28, 2008

washme.jpg I have a dirty dirty car. Here is my problem: I’m lazy. and I’m great at making excuses. Like: My car has wheel skirts (or, if you’re in Australia: SPATS), and before I can go through an automatic car wash I have to get out a screw driver and remove them. So I have to wait for the rare affordable “hand wash.” And also, my car is made from aluminum and plastic, so there’s no rush to clean off my car before that friendly northeast road salt eats it alive. Ergo? I have a dirty dirty car.

Last year I read on ecogeek.org about a waterless car wash product called Eco Touch and I was hooked. Finally! Something that didn’t require me to take off my wheel skirts, to find a garden hose and a spot of yard, to get my front all wet while I was cleaning, ignore the elephant in the corner of the room asking me why I was using so much water, or to go to a car wash that uses lots of stinky mystery chemicals.

I love their mission statement:

At Eco Touch™ we are committed to providing vehicle owners everywhere with a superior line of car care products that do not harm the planet or the user. We strive to conserve water, eliminate contaminated runoff, and save you time when cleaning your car. Through our marketing, we aim to educate consumers that it is possible to enjoy a clean car, boat or rv without using petro-based chemicals–and to save enormous amounts of water at the same time. We’re committed to clean cars and a non-contaminated environment.

Staying away from petro-based chemicals is something I think we can all get behind! And to save water and eliminate contaminants entering our watershed, well, talk about pluses all around.

So what is this stuff? They state:

The entire line of Eco Touch products have been formulated with the environment and user in mind. Our products rely on a blend of non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning agents which are just as effective as their conventional counterparts.

For example, many of our solvents are derived from a soybean base and our surfactants (coconut-derived) are readily biodegradable. In addition you will find ingredients listed on our packaging and website.

We are always investigating ‘greener’ alternatives for our existing products and keep an open mind.

And I love that they have their MSDS available! Transparency like that gets two thumbs up from me. The only problem with this product is that it comes in a plastic spray bottle, but they do sell larger sizes to refill your little spray bottle.

When I got the Eco Touch waterless car wash last summer I used it right away in the parking lot of my office park. My colleagues gathered around and we marveled as the solution took off an incredible amount of dirt with very little effort! It was amazing! Just what I always wanted – a fast and easy way to keep my car clean.

This is the gross part – when I got home and rinsed out the microfiber towels in the sink they let off a terrible stink – like highway and asphalt and all kinds of nasty noxious. Because I’m a nerdy environmental engineer, my first thought was: “WOW, smell all of those PAHs! All that was on my car? how disgusting!” And then? I never used it again. It wasn’t Eco Touch’s fault, but apparently I am really lazy about washing my car no matter what. I can’t wait to see how this list of car washers and detailers who use Eco Touch products expands in the future. I could really use a local car washer!

I really do like to have a nice shiny clean car, though, and I do know that while my aluminum frame won’t rust regular maintenance of the finishes will keep it in good shape for years to come. I have been promising my little car a nice wash job and a detail at some point in the last year or so but haven’t gotten it done because 1. I’m lazy and 2. I just don’t know where to go, and the idea of so many chemicals used all at once squidges me out. So I’m looking forward to trying out the rest of the Eco Touch line of car care supplies – they have dashboard and trim and carpet and upholstery cleanser, and metal polish. Just THINK of how clean my car could be. I’m excited to report that EcoTouch is going to send me some samples so I can try them out and report back to you!

What’s your car care solution? Have you tried Eco Touch?

Photo from flickr user badjonni via creative commons license.

Topics: Home, Movies, Transportation | 15 Comments »

Comment by Bellen
2008-07-28 09:19:42

We do the ‘Natural Car Wash’. Park the car out in the rain and let nature do her job. Now, if it’s not lightening, we’ll go out with a little dish liquid, eco friendly of course, a rag and touch up the tough spots. Our vehicle may not be the shiniest (waxed), but it is clean and without a bunch of chemicals.

2008-07-28 22:14:02

I’ve reached that stage that even when it pours down the dust doesn’t come off! I really do need the touch-ups.

Comment by stacey
2008-07-28 11:55:25

Generally, I don’t wash my car because really, I don’t care if it’s shiny (but then again it is such a beautiful shade of blue that it still looks good through a layer of dirt) and I’m actually okay with chunks of mud on the car. Once every few months, I get a free car wash when I bring it in to get serviced. Most of the time, that’s enough.

However, I’m now living in the Pacific Northwest, which is filled with big, deep, green, luscious trees that seem to harbor an endless supply of pooping birds. I’ve heard that sometimes the poo can breakdown the paint and also, it’s really really gross. So…. I think a car wash is in my near future. I will probably just suck it up and go to the closest conventional car wash.

2008-07-28 16:22:32

i was just looking at my little honda today … thinking “hmmm, i remember when i bought this car the red was just that much redder … maybe it IS time for a car wash visit”. lazy as i am, i’ll be heading to the local automatic guy. i hope, hope, hope that the water is recycled and the chemicals are few … but i guess i might just have to close my eyes.

2008-07-28 16:40:13

[...] EcoTouch WaterlessCarWash [...]

Comment by Clare
2008-07-28 18:42:07

Uh… I have a dirty car too. My sister complains about the windshield. When I do wash it, it’s with a bucket and a rag. Mostly I just hope it gets rained on well.

2008-07-29 07:46:23

The windshield is kind of important! I used to have a car that got so dirty over time that the paint wasn’t shiny any more and it had a matte finish. I guess that’s what we’re trying to prevent, hey?

2008-08-03 06:00:54

[...] EcoTouch Waterless Car Wash [...]

Comment by cali_stang_girl
2008-08-12 12:22:07

i haven’t tried this eco-stuff, but i HAVE used Detail Magic waterless carwash. I’ve been looking for a new, inexpensive way to wash AND wax while also conserving water. Boy have I found it. It does a good job of bringing back the shine that I’ve been missing.

LIke Karina, i’m a very lazy person when it comes to washing my mustang. add to that the fact that I live in an apartment and it was always a hassle to try to get the waterhose to reach my car. This is obviously no longer a problem. You just spray it on and wipe it off; that’s all there is to it! it does a good job of getting rid of the dirt while at the same time waxing.

I love how companies these days are going the extra mile to ensure that we keep the beautiful for generations to come. I’d recommend the Detail Magic Waterless carwash to anyone and i believe it’s available in Home Depot’s auto section.

Comment by speed_racer1970
2008-08-20 11:19:34

i agree wtih mustang girl. Detail Magic is a great product to use. It’s super easy and best of all, you’re done in under twenty minutes. It doesn’t use any water so you don’t have to worry about the chemicals in typical car wash products polluting the earth.

2008-08-27 23:31:52

but those chemicals are still going to be polluting you (while you use them or sit in your car afterwards) or put into the water system through your sewer system as you wash your cloths (or worse, if you toss them in a landfill they’ll be present as leachate). I am totally behind the no-water solutions but I loved feeling as confident as I did that the ingredients in the ecotouch would not be harmful to me.

Comment by GreenGuru
2008-08-21 15:40:41

Thank you for your post about Eco Touch Waterless Car Wash! I just tried this stuff last weekend and it worked miracles on my old civic!! Definitely the best Waterless product on the market today. I have used others which claim to be “green” because they just save water but instead use petroleum-distillates and other nasty chemicals. Don’t be fooled!

Comment by openroad_driver
2008-08-27 12:07:16

I absolutely LOVE using Detail Magic. It does an amazing job of washing AND waxing in under fifteen minutes. Think about it, why pay between 20-30 dollars for someone else to wash your car when you can do it yourself quicker and for about two dollars a wash? I used that eco crap once and didn’t like it. It’s way overpriced for the same thing that Detail magic does.

2008-08-27 23:34:01

thanks for the input, but it’s a little disingenuous to have all three comments raving about Detail Magic coming from the same IP address. I’m glad that detail magic is reading Tiny Choices, but unless I can review the MSDSs to confirm that there are no harmful chemicals included, Tiny Choices will not be able to endorse this product.

Comment by Maurice Brennan
2008-08-28 00:05:50

I agree with karina. It really cracks me up when people try to deceive the public by writing good things about the company they work for…any intelligent individual will notice when false reviews are written…ecotouch is a great product. i have tried it..now i am using prokote no water, since i can buy it manufacturer direct. i understand they make most of the waterless products on the market (private label)