Is Vinegar made from petroleum?

By Karina | May 7, 2008

We talk a lot about using vinegar as a cleaning product – in fact, the entire eco-cleaning and frugal community talk about it a lot, too. But a friend of mine tipped me off to a potential problem with vinegar – turns out that some vinegars may be made from petroleum.

So I tried to do a little research. Thing is, there isn’t very much out there. Just a lot of rumors. For example, from the Heinz Vinegar webpage:

The Only All Natural National Brand Vinegar*
Heinz® Vinegars have no additives or preservatives. Vinegar’s key ingredient is alcohol. Unlike many budget brand vinegars which derive their alcohol from petroleum, Heinz® Vinegars are the only national brand to use only sun ripened corn or crisp, juicy apples and water.

The transformation of wine or fruit juice to vinegar is a chemical process in which ethyl alcohol undergoes partial oxidation that results in the formation of acetaldehyde. In the third stage, the acetaldehyde is converted into acetic acid. The chemical reaction is as follows: CH3CH2OH=2HCH3CHO=CH3COOH.

Wikipedia says about the same – but it goes back to the acetic acid bit, and if you click through to the acetic acid page wikipedia says:

The global demand of acetic acid is around 6.5 million tonnes per year (Mt/a), of which approximately 1.5 Mt/a is met by recycling; the remainder is manufactured from petrochemical feedstocks or from biological sources.

but then it also says this:

Acetic acid is produced both synthetically and by bacterial fermentation. Today, the biological route accounts for only about 10% of world production, but it remains important for vinegar production, as the world food purity laws stipulate that vinegar used in foods must be of biological origin. About 75% of acetic acid made for use in the chemical industry is made by methanol carbonylation

So, who do I believe? Heinz, who has a stake in being the purest and most food-based vinegar? Or Wikipedia, which could be edited by anyone, including the Budget Vinegar Czar desperate to prop up the image his product?

Luckily the FDA is on the case and I found this interesting paper discussing if synthetic alcohol (aka, that derived from petroleum products) can be used in vinegar:

Questions have been raised as to whether we can or should continue to consider synthetic alcohol unsuitable for food use. In order to secure more information, we wrote to the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Division, Internal Revenue Service. Their reply included the following paragraphs:
“Presently, we authorize the manufacture of vinegar from ethyl alcohol synthesized from natural gas or petroleum derivatives. It is our opinion that most of the distilled spirits used in the production of vinegar are derived from natural gas and petroleum…

“When alcohol is used in the production of beverage products, our regulations require that the source of the alcohol be shown on the label except for cordials and liqueurs. Incidentally, I might add that most of the alcohol used in the production of medicinal preparations and flavors is synthetic.”

and concludes with

POLICY:
Synthetic ethyl alcohol may be used as a food ingredient or in the manufacturing of vinegar or other chemicals for food use, within limitations imposed by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Alcohol Administration Act, and regulations promulgated under these acts.

So it’s true! Check your vinegar labels!

I went to the grocery store and did the following research for my fellow Tiny Choosers:

Heinz Vinegar:

vinegar1.jpg

Stop and Shop store brand vinegar:

vinegar2.jpg

And both check out a-ok.

Have you checked your vinegar? Did you even imagine that this could be true?

Topics: General | 74 Comments »

2008-05-06 23:10:08

No, I never EVER imagined that it could be true. It always comes back to the evil Budget Vinegar Czar, damn him.

Ok, so what exactly should we be looking for on the label??

2008-05-07 08:26:43

just check the ingredients!

for the stop and shop brand it says: acetous fermentation of distilled alcohol derived from corn or sugar, distilled with water to 5% acidity.

and for heinz it says:made from select sun-riped grain, diluted with water to a uniform pickling strength and table strength of 5% acidity.

Comment by Soli
2008-05-07 09:09:06

I read about vinegar potentially coming from petrochemical sources, so I checked the bottles we had in the house. Stop and Shop brand, so we’re all good.

Scary to consider the alternative though, since I do some food prep with vinegar. I don’t want to eat something from crude oil!

2008-05-07 12:08:54

Um, NO, I had never considered this! Luckily I get the honking gallon-sized *Heinz* bottles so i am all set. But will keep this in mind as really I usually just get the biggest and cheapest ones I can find (since I use so much in cleaning and wash). Thanks so much for raising this issue. Sigh, I love Tiny Choices (exactly my brand of geekery!).

2008-05-07 13:09:50

I was relieved to find that the big bottle under my sink is heinz, too. phew!
and thank you! I’m glad that our geekery is also your geekery! :)

Comment by Frank
2008-05-08 18:54:42

TC is my brand of Geekery, too! I Heart you gals!

2008-05-09 09:43:06

rockstar geeks unite! we gals heart you!

2008-05-19 00:41:45

Geek Love!

Comment by Dwight
2010-06-12 22:45:20

I have found (by reading the label) that the Heinz gallon size “cider vinegar” is really just cider flavored distilled vinegar – fine print. The smaller sizes are real cider vinegar.

Comment by Mickey Z.
2008-05-07 14:59:05

Looks like the anti-war movement has a new chant: NO BLOOD FOR BALSAMIC

Comment by michelle
2008-05-09 11:19:04

Ha! That made me thought out loud!

2008-05-19 00:42:29

That is the perfect slogan for our first round of TC t-shirts!

2008-05-07 17:04:39

I just use Ume Vinegar for everything, which comes from natural fermination juices when pickling ume plums with sea salt. Since I have celiac sprue, i can’t use anything from grains, so i lucked out and unknowingly have avoided dashing petroleum vinegar on salads :)
So weird when we find out where our food actually comes from. Strange how no one questioned these practices from the start.

Comment by Eliza
2008-05-07 20:03:40

Gah, I’m so glad that I have the gallons of Heinz. Now I need to double check the apple cider vinegar I get for when I dye my hair.

2008-05-08 09:08:13

I *think* that this should only affect white vinegar – apple cider vinegar really REALLY should be made from apple cider!

Comment by Eliza
2008-05-08 10:15:02

Some totally isn’t, though! But, um, yeah, that makes sense. Hee.

Comment by Julie
2008-05-08 01:35:07

Thanks so much for looking into this – I tried to research it a while back and got nowhere. What would it say in the ingredients if it *had* been made from petroleum?

2008-05-08 08:51:49

I’m not really sure! I am going to be checking the vinegar aisle in every grocery store, though, just to be sure.

2008-05-08 08:39:10

[...] Tiny Choices questions if vinegar is made from petroleum. [...]

Comment by Ashley Sue
2008-05-08 14:51:19

This is UNBELIEVABLE… I have two gigundo jugs of vinegar at the house from Costco… and I will be checking that pronto! Drinking/eating anything made from oil is HORRIFYING. Oh my goodness!

Thank you for this in-depth research! Wow!

2008-05-09 09:39:47

I just wish it was easier to find answers! but I guess the best thing to do is always check the labels.

Comment by dust
2008-05-08 17:31:56

I knew this to be true, as my dad was a petroleum engineer, so it is not news to me.

We avoid all but “natural” vinegar because of this. I don’t know that it is dangerous, but food made from, well, food seems like such a better idea than food made from petroleum.

If I had petrol-based vinegars laying about, I’d use them for cleaning rather than dump them down the drain, but I would choose not to eat them.

2008-05-09 11:22:29

now that you’ve verified this information I am even more confident in my research!

Comment by Heather
2008-05-08 18:35:27

The Four Monks vinegar (the stuff from Costco) just says distilled vinegar, diluted to 5% acidity. The label also calls it wine vinegar – any idea what that means?

2008-05-09 11:24:30

wine vinegar ought to be derived from wine, not from synthesized alcohol (petroleum). one hopes, anyway!

Comment by Frank
2008-05-08 18:58:45

I am going to totally do a post over at TDBotD all about this!

Short version; I don’t eat vinegar, or anything made with/ derived from vinegar, and never have, because I absolutely can’t STAND the stuff! I guess I subconsciously must have known all along…

Comment by Becca
2008-05-09 20:08:05

Okay, I gotta play devil’s advocate here. I’m against using any more petroleum than necessary just because it’s getting scarce. However, theoretically, petroleum is just complex carbon derived from algae which has been super-duper cooked. (Yeah, technical, I know). So why not rearrange those carbon molecules back into something we can digest?
I suppose oil is unappetizing enough to make it’s derivatives unappetizing. Heck, I guess ancient algae is unappetizing enough to make it’s derivatives unappetizing! But I’m just sayin’…

2008-05-11 18:22:50

you’re right, Becca – plus I’m a big fan of fully using up byproducts so we have maximum efficiency. but at the same time I’m trying so hard to minimize the use of petroleum in my life through driving more efficiently, using less plastics, and I guess also choosing the right vinegar – just ’cause it’s a finite resource. And I’m sure that our need for vinegar is not driving the cost of oil up, but if I can cut back here too, it’s a tiny choice I’m eager to make!

Comment by Doctor BJH
2009-12-22 20:20:34

Karina and Becca, yes white vinegar is a byproduct. It is also pure vinegar so its source does not matter. I am a MD but before that I studied honors chemistry. I understand organic chemistry. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed only changed. For health benefits in your food you do not want white vinegar you want wine or apple cider for the bio-flavoids. This is where choosing the right vinegar matters. It would be like you saying you want your aspirin only from willow tree bark, but I doubt that you even knew that was the first source of aspirin, which is now a petroleum industry byproduct. For your laundry, white vinegar is cheaper and 1/2 cup to 1 cup will pull the soap out of the clothes in the rinse water. As to petroleum being scarce that is a lie by the USA gov. It is not a fossil fuel as it once was believed. The majority of it is generated by the earth it self by coal and steam under pressure. There are oil fields capped off all over this nation (just drive on the interstate highway system and see for yourself-I have). Pres. Eisenhower thought we should use up the Middle East’s reserves first then use our own. However our present day US Congress are less educated and greater liers. We are “swimming” in natural gas energy. The oil fields that were drained 50 years ago are refilling by natural processes. Remember just because something states it is a natural product, that does not make it safe. High fructose corn syrup should be used in very low doses. I do not like it as a substitute for sugar. It is harder for the human liver to process because its pathway in the liver is slower than that for glucose and sucrose (sugar). I am a scientist, MD,Psychiatrist and proud of it. However one cannot do it all, I did not birth a child and only in my later years have I helped raise a girl to her 18th year. Family is just as important to me as knowledge because knowledge is to help the family, friends and community live a better life.

Comment by Ruffslitch
2009-05-06 02:47:19

Stumbled in here after seeing an ad ( must’ve been Heinz’s! ) about petroleum in vinegar. Shocking to find it to be partially true! But Becca, I had the same kind of questions about organic VS inorganic chemistry in college-molecules are made of the same atoms whether they are living or dead. At what point do we declare “life!” Vis a vis this debate, at what point do we panic over what we’re eating?

But still, I ain’t eatin’ no dang oil, y’know?

Comment by Erika
2008-06-12 16:34:10

Bet you didn’t know that APPLES are dipped in wax made from petroleum.
Yummy!!!

2008-06-12 23:47:02

Hey Erika, can you pass me a slice of that good ol’ American apple pie?
;)

Comment by Yvonne
2008-09-16 09:58:02

This is unbelievable!! Here I am thinking that I’m using all natural products to clean my house and it comes to this!! I’m at work but as soon as I get home I will be checking the vinegar that I buy from Walmart. I do buy Heinz also but I buy the really cheap stuff to clean my toilet. I don’t use white distilled vinegar as far as food consumption so that makes me feel a little bit better. All this time I thought vinegar was made with natural products. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Oh one more thing…what is this talk about TC (Tiny Choosers)???

Comment by Dj
2009-04-11 16:03:43

What about the high fructose corn syrup that is in almost every processed food product, soda, sweetened water, etc. High fructose corn syrup is also made with petroleums. The corn used is not even edible!

Comment by Amanda
2009-04-14 14:05:16

Found this through google search, after reading the label on a Heinz product, I was curious! Very interesting. The FDA article says “Incidentally, I might add that most of the alcohol used in the production of medicinal preparations and flavors is synthetic.” I wonder if it means baking flavors, such as vanilla or almond. I use Simply Organic brand, but they have alchohol in them. I wonder what the source is.

2009-04-15 10:36:47

[...] So, in this vein, my husband and I have been discussing peak oil.  Now, mind you, we have very separate hobbies.  I indulge him when he talks about galaxies and telescopes and he indulges me when I talk about local foods and sustainability.  So, he has asked me a couple of questions I couldn’t really answer and since I tend to get all flustered and sound stupid when I try to explain my stand on such issues as peak oil, I decided to do a little research.  He made the comment that most people make when I talk about running out of oil.  “Well, some other fuel will take its place.”  So, I started telling him that a LOT of other things, in fact, most of the everyday things in our homes, are made from petroleum in one way or another.  I found several lists of things that are made from petroleum online and then ran across a search result that talked about vinegar being made from petroleum!  Whoa!  I use vinegar A LOT in my household cleaning and this really threw me for a loop.  Vinegar is the new-old natural cleaning method and if it is made from oil – well,  hell (stomping of foot)!   So this is what I discovered:  some vinegars are, in fact, made from a petroleum derivative.  Here is the link to the entire article http://tinychoices.com/2008/05/07/is-vinegar-made-from-petroleum/.   [...]

Comment by Lisa
2009-04-16 13:39:37

I buy Heinz for cooking with but I will have to check the stuff I clean with. EWW!

Comment by christina
2009-05-06 16:05:59

Hello and thank you for the info. I ran across your blog while researching corn-based ethynol. I found this ingredient in my dish soap (GreenWorks by Clorox)! I am dumbfounded after further research. This is supposed to be a “green” product and yet the whole production process of corn and it’s derived substances iseven worse for the environment. Any ideas on a better cleaner?

Comment by Caroline
2009-08-28 17:58:47

Check out Norwex.com You can clean your whole house with great stuff that doesn’t use any toxins. Most of it you can do with their amazing microfiber that removes 99.9% of bacteria with just water. I’d be happy to hook you up!
Caroline

Comment by Cowboy
2009-05-19 07:27:39

Sounds like to me if you can take petroleum and make vinegar, why couldn’t you take vinegar and make an affordable and eco-friendly fuel? Just some food/fuel for thought. They can actually make synthetic plastics and what have you. So if they can come up with those receipes, well you can see where I’m going.

Comment by Ruffslitch
2009-05-19 15:05:25

Hey, Cowboy, I ‘ve thought about having a bumper-sticker made that says something like:

Fake fur is made from fossil fuels! Save the planet from global warming-wear real fur, the original all-natural, biodegradable, 100% renewable resource!

Comment by Sandra
2009-05-26 12:02:33

According to Heinz, checking the label does no good – I just saw a Heinz ad in Family Circle magazine – it says ” Vinegar can come from natural sources like corn and apples. Or it can come from petroleum. And labels don’t have to tell you which. Heinz All-Natural Distilled White Vinegar is made from sun-ripened corn and crystal clear water. Period.”

I think labels SHOULD have to specify!!!

Comment by martia
2009-06-17 01:15:04

And the FDA is supposed to be protecting us???? How is it protecting us to allow companies to feed us petroleum derivatives in our foods?? I don’t get that. On a related topic – I further do not understand how they can allow companies to make red food coloring out of BUGS, and we unknowingly eat them. Hideous!!! Makes me want to go all organic, all natural when I hear stuff like this.

Comment by Doctor BJH
2009-12-22 21:09:47

You thought the FDA was to protect you? Ha Ha This the AMA and the US Congress is the high cost of medicine. Medicine in the USA means patent drugs. That is what the pharmaceutical companies do. Yes I am an Allopathic Physician, aka a MD, trained in the USA. I am fed up. My colleagues around the world received nutrition as part of their medical curriculum. I sought this education before medical school and continue training in it due to a historical statement by Hippocrates, the Greek Physician c460-c377. He said food is medicine and medicine is food. This statement is true. I looked in three dictionaries and any thing that changes what is going on inside the cell is a drug. Food had better change what is going on inside a cell or we will starve, die. THE POINT IS whatever is taken into the body it should promote healthy cellular processes. Many of the foods and spices over the centuries have a rich history in medicine. Access to this knowledge has been denied to your MD by his/ her training over 65 years now because of a change in the AMA schools medical curriculum. I was a scientist before medical school so I had an idea what was missing but my classmates did not know. Worse yet most did not care. They were “parrots”. J.P. Morgan the Stock Market person was invested in patent medicine, pharmaceuticals. He gave lab equipment in exchange for patent medicine to be taught. That is not a crime! It is a good thing; however, the AMA is charged with standardizing medicine. It is the fault of the AMA to exclude the food is medicine concept. As to all natural, that is a marketing ploy to make you think if it is natural it is safe. This is just not so. Plants make methane (marsh gas) and it is just as dangerous as if you turned on the stove without the pilot light.. You know how to use a gas stove because you were taught the safety issues. People stay out of the marsh. But what happens if a natural lake turns over as it does every 50 to 150 years and there are mountians in the back of a village. Well this happened to one small village 15 years ago in India, they died the methane is heavier than air . It was natural!!!!

Comment by mark
2010-08-07 21:04:03

I looked up the meaning of Allopathy but how is it relative to other medicine?
I cast out demons to help people is it relative to that.

Comment by Pipp
2009-06-17 08:33:46

eating bugs would be the all organic way to go. That is the organic red colour!! Just because you are not used to the concept of eating bugs does not make it gross, unhealthy or somehow non-green.

Comment by adoannie
2009-08-03 09:37:24

We are discussing this ridiculous news online in an organic living folder. There seems to be no way we can avoid everything that’s out there that can harm us. We eat from plastic that the FDA says is sometimes harmful and sometimes not. We use cosmetics, vinegar, medicines that are all made from oil or oil byproducts ie, sulfonimides,ie.,Celebrex. We breathe bad air on a daily basis and are told that its better than it was. Has anyone checked to see what the exhaust of a car now causes?? Guess we all just need to keep on truckin’ in the best way we know how!

Comment by damon
2009-08-22 17:55:49

Thank you very, very,much for taking the time to post this info and source links!!!!

Comment by Junjie Vazquez
2009-09-01 03:03:03

I was always made to believe that vinegar should come from a biological source or a product that comes from double fermentation, the alcoholic and acetic stage of fermentation. In fact its good to imagine that all fruits with high sugar content can be made into vinegar. It’s quite alarming to know that scrupulous businessmen would make use of GLACIAL ACETIC ACID as vinegar. Some countries in fact allows it’s usage. A petroleum based sour condiment should not be called vinegar at all.

Is there a way to technically identify natural vinegar and synthetic vinegar?

Comment by Doctor BJH
2009-12-23 01:09:10

No, there is no way to identify a pure vinegar (acetic acid) source from one made from plant derivatives or oil derivatives. A pure compound is a pure compound. Pure water distilled from: urine, ocean water, fresh water, juice, sewage, Dead Sea water, glacial ice, snow, etc., yields pure water. At that point one cannot name its source. There are no trace minerals left for even a hint. That is chemistry!!!!!! Doc.Barb. M.D., Psychiatrist, Fellow Am Psychotherapy Assoc., Member Am Soc Quality, B. S. honors Chemistry, Assoc. Elect. Eng. Tech

Comment by Pipo
2010-10-04 17:31:43

There is a way to distinguish them — the plant-derived vinegar is more radioactive! This is just like carbon 14 dating. Livings plants get C-14 from the atmosphere. When they die the C-14 remains and it decays radioactively. In petroleum (which is a biological product, but has been dead a very long time) the C-14 has decayed away and so it is less radioactive. This is not to suggest that the radioactive plant-derived vinegar is dangerous — it is completely natural, and every plant that you eat is radioactive in this way.

Comment by N
2009-12-11 13:38:55

Thanks for the information. I have always purchased organic and natural vinegars, while Heinz may be from a “natural” source it still is not organic, and also there is a problem with acidic foods kept in plastic bottles. Not only do chemicals from the bottles leech into your food, but the production of the bottles causes mass pollution.

So consider purchasing your vinegar only in glass bottles. Also, it’s relatively easy to make vinegar yourself from wine! Both white and red table wines work well for homemade vinegar. I personally like Braggs natural Apple Cider Vinegar, or Eden Organics Rice Vinegar. They are a bit more expensive, however.

Comment by Doctor BJH
2009-12-23 01:22:49

For eating I agree. Glass is protective and the bio-flavoids are good nutrition. White vinegar is distilled vinegar. Its source does not matter. Pure 5% acetic acid in water is of value to the body and does no harm within reason. That is do not drink 8 oz or more. Over using vinegar, with or without the bio-flavoids, can change the content of the acid in the stomach and that would not be good. To get the benefits of the bio-flavoids make sure the apple cider vinegar is not just flavored apple cider but IS apple cider vinegar. I have never seen wine flavored vinegar. To your health and wellbeing

Comment by Junjie
2010-06-09 10:07:48

If petro based vinegar would not make a difference as to biological (natural) based vinegar for “human consumption” then there is no reason to make a fuss.

I wonder what is the stand of the World Health Organization? Petro Vinegar is much cheaper…

2010-06-21 01:45:57

[...] and minerals enriching your food were produced using petroleum as a solvent. Rubbing alcohol and vinegar, two of my “safe” cleaning products are made from petroleum, as is my daughter’s [...]

Comment by KATE
2010-07-21 19:32:36

I WAS TOLD BY A HOME PICKLE MAKER THAT HE PUTS BABY ASPIRIN IN THE JAR ALONG WITH THE VINEGAR MIX TO MAKE PICKLES. WOULD YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON SOMETHING LIKE THIS. WOULD ASPIRIN MAKE THE PICKLES CRISP???

Comment by kyra
2010-08-31 22:02:58

I was shocked to hear this too and I will definitely be checking my labels. I am sure it is fine to use as a cleaner/ degreaser but I wouldn’t care to digest it. I am sure it is probably safe, but yuck!! Just the thought, eww! FOr people looking for an ecosafe and American company that sells natural cleaning products; there are some great natural cleaning products from an American company called Melaleuca. They are a very “green” company. If you would like more information, go to Melaleuca.com and if you decide you would like a membership email me at kyraakakat@aol.com (put Melaleuca in the subject line) and I will walk you through the application process for membership to get the better prices. I use their natural products all the time and save money vs. the other stuff out there. Their motto is Switch, Shop and Save. Everything is in concentrated forms so it is less packaging going into lanfills, but hopefully you choose to recycle anyhow. They are very eco friendly and my allergies don’t get bothered by their products. I am allergic to a lot of different cleaning supplies and detergents I have bought previously.

Comment by kyra
2010-08-31 22:14:31

Anyone know why vinegar works so well to clean oil off of stuff like the concrete and grease and grime off car rims if it is made from an oil source? that part I really don’t get. I hope my salt and vinegar chips aren’t made with petroleum vinegar, that is just a little unappetizing.

2010-10-30 23:51:13

[...] 7.Is Vinegar made from petroleum? | Tiny Choices kyra on Is Vinegar made from petroleum? … This page has a very good description of how vinegar is made, and it refers simply to an alcohol being fermented with vinegar bacteria. … All this time I thought vinegar was made with natural products. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Oh one more thing…what is this… http://tinychoices.com/2008/05/07/is-vinegar-made-from-petroleum/ [...]

2010-10-31 01:14:57

[...] 11.Is Vinegar made from petroleum? | Tiny Choices When my friend told me this I was like: WHAT THE HECK THIS IS GROUNDSHAKING HORRIFYING INFORMATION. Vinegar is our magical eco-friendly cleaning solution! it just *can’t* be made from petroleum products! http://tinychoices.com/2008/05/07/is-vinegar-made-from-petroleum/ [...]

2010-10-31 01:22:14

[...] 4.Is Vinegar made from petroleum? | Tiny Choices [...]

Comment by Whaaaaat??
2010-11-03 19:08:56

I am so confused. If the ingrediants on my white vinegar say “distilled white vinegar and distilled water” does that mean my white vinegar was made from petroleum?

Comment by Brandy
2011-01-07 15:43:21

I use many types of vinegar for different applications.
Four Monks from Costco is made from corn according to the label.
I try to drink an ounce of apple cider vinegar everyday with a little organic honey and OJ. Plus drink eight glasses of room temperature clean water throughout the day. Within days you will feel better and that is all systems. You will have rosy cheeks, great digestion, can improve blood pressure, sleep better and just a general pick-me-up. Within weeks you will not believe how well you will feel.
I use it in cooking as well and gives a great kick to soups, sauces, marinades, dressings…just before serving. Try different flavored ones for a variety. If on a budget just plain vinegar will do just fine. Check the label to see the ingredients…from what it is distilled?
I cannot tell you how much vinegar has helped me and changed my life. My friends tease my and call me Vinnie but most have gotten on the same path.
I have developed allergies to most personal products, the chemicals in them, and there really isn’t a cure other than avoidance.
I put white vinegar in a spritz/spray bottles in most areas of our home. Undiluted, but that is my preference.
Personal Care. (don’t get it in your eyes!!! rinse with clear water if you do.)
I use it to wash my hair and rinse it. It cures all types of dandruff for pennies. And I spritz my ears while I am in the shower. I have sensitive ears and used to get irritations…no more! You can use as an astringent as well. Rinse off or leave on. I am a blond so the highlights are amazing in my hair. It will probably take a while, several applications, to get the build up of “YUCK” in your hair from other products.
After towel dying I spritz a couple of squirts underarm, let it dry, and it is an amazing deodorant. No after smell, no chemicals and it works even for a sweaty workout. (If you have a tiled shower rinse it down.)
Also, for skin irritations, bites, rough skin, etc. Try a little to see how it works for you.
For soap I use “Kiss my Face -Olive Oil” or Dr Bonners Castille -almond or Spearmint bar soap. They can be used for shaving as well. Stopped using all other products and household cleaning chemicals and laundry products Using vinegar and these mild soaps cleared up the bumps, my eczema, my asthma, dandruff, etc. I look and feel great! Saving a fortune $$$.
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com is where you can look for free to see the chemicals that you are using in your everyday personal care products that are making you sick and building up in your system. Please check it out.
I use the spray bottles of vinegar to clean counters(not natural stone), mirrors, wood floors, vinyle, appliances, to freshen rooms or pour into carpet cleaning machines, etc. A 1/2 cup vinegar per wash load with an unscented dye-free detergent or make your own and a vinegar dampened facecloth in the dryer instead of those toxic sheets or liquids. It is great for maintaining colors rich.
This is just a fraction of what you can use vinegar for and feel better, be so much healthier, save allot of $$$ and help cut down on the chemicals and bottles polluting our environment and planet. Please share this info with those that you care about .
Google uses for vinegar…… and be healthier, save loads of money and help the environment. Please recycle the plastic or glass bottles.
Be well.

2011-01-25 17:43:41

[...] In a pinch, Braggs is far better than most white store vinegars (which are actually derived from petroleum) but we’ve found that home-made, locally made lacto-fermented foods are healthiest and [...]

2011-05-20 14:18:16

[...] of the horror stories about melamine-enhanced, petroleum-based and exploding food combined with my increasing discomfort with manipulating food into foodstuffs, [...]

Comment by Laura
2011-06-30 11:54:18

Thanks Brandy! Great info here! I am in the process of phasing out all chemical products. My son has developed all kinds of allergies, asthma, etc. I have already noticed a big difference in his health and I am only half way there!

Comment by maggi
2011-06-30 17:59:56

heinz makes their white vinegar from corn. i always read the labels and buy heinz because i know what its made of.

2011-09-17 13:30:18

Comment by Jam Replika
2011-09-26 05:45:44

Great m in the process of phasing out all chemical products. My son has developed all kinds of allergies, asthma, etc. I have already noticed a big difference in his health and I am only half way there!

Comment by Ash man
2012-01-11 01:59:45

People, besides the disturbing fact of white vinegar being derived from petroleum, the vinegars saying they are made from natural sources, unless stating otherwise, are made from GMO CORN. This grain is in fact smarter than most Americans. It’s pretty much taking over The world. A good read is the Omnivore’s Dilema.

It’s good to see this interest in such topics. Thanks for the good discussion!

Comment by Cheryl
2012-02-25 16:33:36

My daughter has a corn and potato allergy and we soon discovered that most all processed foods have vinegar in them which she reacts to. Especially breads, salad dressings, mayo, frozen meats, hotdogs and much more. Next time you go to the grocery store look at all the labels of foods and you will be shocked to find what actually goes in them. Yuck. For the last three weeks we’ve been corn and potato free and actually feel a little better. I’m looking for a vinegar that is absolutely corn and petroleum free. Is there one?

2012-04-22 01:04:56

[...] You might want to check that your white vinegar is made from grains and not petroleum. [...]

Comment by Blessed Mama
2012-05-10 09:24:51

I have fibromyalgia and can’t eat anything made from vinegar. However, I can have Apple Cider Vinegar just fine and no problems. So I don’t eat anything canned with white vinegar- natural or not natural- the stuff worsens my pain horribly! And might not be real natural either way… however, apple cider vinegar is great for my body and helps my health.